News

Actions

Two displaced after fire in Suffolk

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:39 PM, May 31, 2015
and last updated 2015-05-31 12:39:19-04

Suffolk, Va. – Two people are displaced after a house fire in Suffolk early Sunday morning.

Fire crews responded to reports of a house fire in the 200 block of East Washington Street in downtown Suffolk around 11 a.m.

Units arrived on around 11:04 a.m., and found that the fire had been put out by a sprinkler system in the kitchen on the second floor of an apartment.

The fire was contained to the kitchen, and was under control in under ten minutes. There were no reported injuries.

The sprinkler system caused an extended amount of damage. Two adults have been displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Located below the apartment, the former Chop Shop, a barber shop that relocated to West Washington Street, suffered some water damage.

A portion of the street was closed as police ruled the fire was accidental.