Father, two children hospitalized after escaping from Newport News house fire

Posted at 9:01 AM, Jun 02, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-02 17:23:11-04

Newport News, Va. - Newport News fire investigators say unattended cooking started a fire at a home on Pear Avenue.

This happened early Tuesday morning, just after midnight.

A man was taken to the hospital for cuts to the hand from breaking out a window to get out of the home with his two young children.

The children were also taken to the hospital to be examined for smoke inhalation.

Tressa Brown recorded a video of the fire around midnight as she watched firefighters take action to put out the fire.

"I noticed there was a lot of smoke coming out of the back and the fireman went on the roof and they were taking their axes and breaking out the window and really trying to get to the fire so I just stood right by here and we watched the whole thing," she says.

Firefighters say there's about $15,000 worth of damage, and the home has been condemned, leaving the family of four living inside the home homeless for the time being. The Red Cross will be helping them. Neighbors also say they're standing by in case the family needs anything.

"To the family, I pray for you and if you need anything, we are right here," Brown says.