Norfolk, VA- Some states bleed more red, white and blue than others but according to a WalletHub study, Virginia is at the top of the list for patriotism. A study comparing eight key metrics to determine America’s patriotic hot spots listed Virginia as 2015’s Most Patriotic State.
WalletHub compared the 50 states across two key dimensions: military engagement and civic engagement. Military engagement includes factors such as percent of residents enlisted in military, number of veterans and number of active-duty military personnel. Civic engagement includes percentage of residents who voted, volunteer rate, number of Peace Corps volunteers, frequency of Google searches for American flags and civics education requirement.
Virginia ranked the following:
- 1st in civics education requirement
- 3rd in number of active-duty military personnel per 100,000 residents
- 4th in number of veterans per 100,000 residents
- 6th in percent of residents enlisted in the military in 2013
- 9th in percentage of residents who voted in the most recent presidential election
- 13th in number of Peace Corps volunteers per 100,000 residents
- 16th in volunteer rate
Let that add a little bit of patriotism to your Fourth of July celebrations.