News

Actions

Three displaced after Suffolk kitchen fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:04 PM, Jul 11, 2015
and last updated 2015-07-11 12:04:46-04

Suffolk, Va. – A family of three are without a home after their kitchen caught fire in Suffolk early Saturday morning.

Firefighters got the call just before 5 a.m. of a house fire at a duplex in the 800 block of Second Avenue in the Williamstown neighborhood in downtown Suffolk.

Once fire crews arrived they found heavy smoke coming from the back of the home. Everyone was able to escape safely.

According to the fire investigator the fire started by accident on the first floor in the kitchen that extended into the wall and cabinets.

Firefighters say two adults and one child in the downstairs unit where the fire started will be temporarily displaced. The upstairs unit did have some minor smoke damage, but the residents there were allowed to stay in their home.

One person was checked out for smoke inhalation but did not need to be transported.