Hampton, Va. – Two separate fires result in a Hampton firefighter being sent to the hospital Saturday.
The first was in a detached garage in the first block of Donald Street at 2:25 p.m. Fire officials say smoke was visible from the garage when units arrived, but was quickly extinguished in approximately 20 minutes. No injuries were reported.
The fire didn’t spread to any other structures, and after their investigation they are deeming it an accidental fire. According to Battalion Chief Jeffery Pereira, combustible materials were stored too close to an operating air compressor. Heat from the compressor ignited the combustible material.
The second fire was in the 600 block of Grimes Road around 11:30 p.m. The fire was under control within 15 minutes, and was contained to a glass-enclosed porch, interior wall, and a small portion of the attic. The one-story vacant home was under renovation. The fire was caused by the failure of some electrical wiring located in the wall and was deemed accidental.
A Hampton firefighter sustained a non-life threatening injury and was transported to Sentara Complex. He has since been released.