(CNN) — The Coast Guard’s search for the two Florida teens who went missing at sea last week will be suspended at sunset Friday, Coast Guard Capt. Mark Fedor told reporters.
However, the families of Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos said Friday that a private search would continue.
“Our families are committed to continue the search and rescue efforts of our boys with the aid of volunteer pilots and aircraft,” a joint statement from the families reads. “…. We have established ‘The Perry & Austin Rescue Fund’ which will continue to be utilized to fund private aircraft, boat fuel and any other additional resources needed for the immediate recovery of our missing boys.”
Austin Stephanos and Perry Cohen left the city of Jupiter, on Florida’s Atlantic coast, in a 19-foot, single-engine vessel on July 24 and have not been seen since. Searchers found their boat capsized on Sunday about 67 nautical miles off Florida’s Ponce de Leon Inlet, well north of Jupiter, with no sign of the boys.