Law enforcement agencies across Hampton Roads are inviting the public out Tuesday night for a night of fun and interaction with their local agencies as they celebrate National Night Out.
The event, which includes food and plenty of activities, will give the community a chance to get to know their law enforcement better as they aim to improve the neighborhoods. It is also a chance for the community to let criminals know they are not welcomed in their neighborhoods.
This years event comes as many families and victims in several Hampton Roads cities are still dealing with the aftermath of a violent and deadly weekend.
In the last four days, 10 people have been shot -- four of them losing their lives to the gun violence.
Some agencies have expressed that this year's event is especially important because of the spotlight that has grown on policing and communities locally, and on a national level.
Here are a list of cities that will be celebrating Tuesday night and their locations:
- Norfolk -5:30-8:30 Northside Park
- Chesapeake - 5:30-9:30 Lakeside Park
- Virginia Beach -
- Green Run Homes Association - 6p - 8p - Hot dog & beverages: local businesses, LEO & Activities for Kids (500 people) 1248 Green Garden Circle Clubhouse
- Seatack with Face painting, Bounce House, food, etc. 5:30p - 8p - Seatack Neighborhood Park or behind LETA
- Lake side Cook out and corn hole 5p - 8p - Lake Lawson Natural Area Park, playground entrance, corner of Ellis Ave/Shell road.
- Coventry Cook out, Games and Music 7p-9p Castlefield Road
- Stratford Chase Informal Gathering with Drinks in the Driveways of multiple addresses 5:30p - 8p
- Lake Christopher Community Meeting w/ Static Displays 6p - ? Big Park on Lake Christopher
- College Park (200-250 people expected) 6p-8p Parade from College Park Blvd and Auburn Drive to Providence Rd
- Suffolk -5:30 Pavilion behind Suffolk visitor's center
- Smithfield - 5:00 Main Street Baptist Church