Woman dies after illegal butt injection procedure at St. Louis hotel

Posted at 4:27 PM, Aug 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-07 16:31:20-04

Edmundson, MO  -- Authorities in Edmundson are investigating the death of a woman who may have received illegal buttocks injections at a hotel near Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. Daysha Phillips, 22, died a few days after she went to the hotel with three other women.

Police in Edmundson contacted Dallas investigators about the possible involvement of Denise Ross,  who had been arrested on a murder charge in February for the death of a Dallas woman in a similar case.

Authorities in the St. Louis area said there could be a link to the Dallas case.

Daysha Phillips, 22, died Thursday, four days after she went with three other women to a hotel near Lambert-St. Louis International Airport for the buttocks-enhancing procedure, said her aunt, Marie Cooper.

On Tuesday, police in Edmundson, Mo., said they contacted Dallas investigators about the possible involvement of Denise "Wee Wee" Ross, 43, who was arrested on a murder charge in the February death of a Dallas woman.

Meanwhile Edmundson investigators are pouring through hundreds of hours of surveillance video from a hotel. Police here suspected the two cases may be linked to the Dallas case.

Both Denise Ross and a transgender woman Jimmy Clarke have been accused of fatally injecting Wykesha Reid, 34, in February of this year. Ross and Clarke have each been indicted on a murder charge in Reid's death. They have also been charged with practicing medicine without a license.

Dallas police say the cost of the injection was $520. One person who had the injection done, told investigators that the injection was painful and the pair closed the injection sites with super glue and cotton balls.

Currently Ross is under house arrest with an electronic ankle monitor. A judge has order she not to leave the Dallas area.

Dallas police are assisting Edmundson investigators due to the similarities of the cases.

An autopsy showed Reid died from silicone entering Reid's veins, traveling through her heart and becoming trapped in her lungs.

In Phillips case and aunt says one person who went with her niece backed out of taking the injections. She also says that her niece had undergone the procedure previously. The person who performed the injections charged Phillips $300.

Soon after the injections Phillips became sick and her heart stopped. She later died at a hospital.

According to the St. Louis County Medical Examiner's Office, test will take up four weeks before a cause of death can be determined.