News

Actions

Three construction workers overcome by carbon monoxide in James City County

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:07 PM, Aug 12, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-12 17:07:45-04

James City County, Va. – Three construction workers were hospitalized after being overcome by carbon monoxide while working at a private residence on Wednesday.

James City County Fire units were dispatched to the report of an unconscious person in a private residence on Marstons Lane at 11:39 a.m.

They found one construction worker outside of the residence complaining of trouble breathing. The construction worker, who placed the call to 911, told fire personnel there were two other workers in the basement of the residence and that a gas powered saw had been in use.

Firefighters entered the residence in complete firefighting protective equipment, and once inside they encountered carbon monoxide readings of 1,244 parts per million.

The stairs to the basement of the residence had been removed so firefighters entered the basement using a ladder. The two other construction workers were found in the basement and were unconscious. They were removed utilizing the ladder and a rope hoist system.

All three construction workers were transported by ambulance to Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center.

There were no firefighter injuries.