Court Documents: Sailor calls police, confesses to killing wife after he says she ‘belittled’ him

Posted at 12:16 PM, Sep 06, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-08 18:28:12-04

 York County, Va. - A sailor shot and killed his wife inside their York County home early Sunday morning while their two children were inside the residence, according to the York-Poquoson Sheriff's Office.

Mark A. Freel, Jr.

Mark A. Freel, Jr.

Deputies tell us Mark A. Freel, Jr., 26,  fatally shot his wife Katherine A. Freel, 27, around 12:45 a.m. in the 200 block of Wichita Lane, located in the Williamsburg area of York County.

Freel was arrested on scene without incident, charged with second-degree murder and use of a firearm during the commission of a felony.  He was taken to Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail where he is being held without bond.

The children, ages 4-years-old and 5 months, were home at the time of shooting but were not injured. They have been placed in the care of the victim's family.

According to Lt. Col. Beth Miller, Freel is a Navy Sailor who works for the Joint Task Force as an Intelligence Specialist.

Freel was the person who actually called police to the home. He called dispatch and told them he'd just killed his wife, court documents say.

When deputies arrived, they found Freel standing at the door of his home waiting for them.

When deputies went into the home, they found the woman on the bed unresponsive. He confessed to shooting her after they'd left a neighbor's home after he says she "belittled" him.

He told deputies he'd shot his wife with a XD-40 handgun. He says he was well aware of his actions and wanted to take full responsibility.

"I hurt for those little kids," says Darlene Decosta who says she did not know couple well. She says she came face to face with the couple just hours before the shooting.

Deputies came to the home after the two got into a heated argument.

"He said,  'Get off my land,' and it was all about property. His eyes looked so evil.  They look like people, I mean he's staring at me with so much anger is hate eyes," says Decosta.

Freel was arrested for assault on his wife in Virginia Beach on prior to this incident on June 7, 2014.

Court documents say that he slapped something out of her hand, grabbed her by the throat, and held her on the couch.

She screamed for help, and when someone knocked on the door, he let go of her.

Katherine Freel took out an emergency protective order against him after the assault, but it expired three days after the incident on June 10.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 and as this story continues to develop.