Virginia Beach courthouse evacuated due to faulty smoke alarm

Posted at 10:54 AM, Sep 09, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-09 10:54:44-04

Virginia Beach, Va. – The Virginia Beach City Courthouse was evacuated twice Wednesday morning due to a faulty smoke alarm in an elevator shaft.

The first alarm and evacuation happened at 7:55 a.m. and people were allowed back into the courthouse until 8:05 a.m.

The second evacuation happened at 9:55 a.m. and people were allowed back inside at 10:25 a.m.

The Virginia Beach Fire Department responded to both incidents and determined that the it is safe to go inside of the building.

The building is under a fire watch until the fire alarm company, Simplex, can solve the problem.

There will be no more evacuations from the building unless there are signs of smoke or any other safety hazards.

Anyone due in court at the time of the evacuations is asked to check in at the appropriate courtroom for instructions from the judge about how further cases will be handled.