Power strip malfunction causes apartment fire

Posted at 10:31 AM, Oct 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-10-07 10:31:25-04

Hampton, Va. – Hampton Fire and Rescue crews responded to a fire on Tuesday that was caused by an electrical power strip malfunction.

It happened in the 100 block of Tide Mill Lane at 4 p.m.

Crews saw smoke inside of the apartment and removed a small amount of smoldering debris from the entrance.

The fire did not spread to other apartments. Investigators say that the fire started in the living room and smoldered for a while before smoke was noticed by maintenance.

No one was inside the apartment at the time.

Investigators determined that the fire was an accident.

The power strip malfunction caused part of the carpet and a cabinet to ignite.

A fish tank above the strip cracked because of the heat. The tank broke and water came out, which helped stop the fire from spreading.

There were no injuries reported.  One resident was displaced and is receiving help from other resources.