News

Actions

Neighbor rescues woman from fire in Newport News home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:00 PM, Oct 19, 2015
and last updated 2015-10-19 17:00:13-04

Newport News, Va. – Thanks to the quick thinking of a neighbor, an elderly woman was able to safely escape a house fire in Newport News on Monday afternoon.

Just before 1 p.m., emergency crews received calls about the fire in the 200 block of Bailiff Court in the Court House Green area.

When crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from the eaves of the home.

Before they arrived, a neighbor saw the smoke coming out of the home and took action to save a woman’s life. He knocked on the door, heard smoke detectors sounding and helped the woman out of the home.

No one else was home at the time.

The woman was not injured.

Officials say the fire caused $30,000 in damages and had to be condemned. The kitchen area was severely damaged and there was smoke damage throughout the entire home.

Four people were displaced. The Red Cross is now assisting them.