Hampton, Va. – Students and faculty have been evacuated from Booker Elementary School due to a small fire, Hampton Police tweeted.
Diana Gulotta with Hampton City Schools says the fire was started in the girl’s bathroom by a student who lit toilet paper on fire. Gulotta says the student has been identified and will be disciplined.
Students will be temporarily taken to Spratley Gifted Center because of smoke concerns, per the fire department’s request.
Students will receive lunch while they are at Spratley. They will return to Booker before dismissal and continue with the school day.
Hampton City Schools and police say that parents do not need to pick up their children.
Everyone was evacuated safely and there are no injuries.
Police and fire crews were at the school around 10 a.m.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 and WTKR.com as we find out more details.