Newport News building reopens after carbon monoxide incident

Posted at 12:37 PM, Nov 20, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-20 17:06:26-05

Newport News, Va. - A Newport News building has reopened after a carbon monoxide incident, according to the Newport News Fire Department.

A medical unit responded to the report of a  Davita Dialysis Center patient feeling weak around 10:00 a.m.

As medics came into the building, a carbon monoxide detector attached to one of the medic's bags began to register high amounts of carbon monoxide in the building.

The medical unit immediately called for backup and opened doors to allow more air inside of the building. This helped the carbon monoxide levels drop.

Firefighters used a different type of air quality monitor to find the source of the carbon monoxide.

When crews went inside of the mechanical room,  the air quality monitor detected dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide near the water heater.  Crews immediately turned the water heater off.

The building was quickly evacuated and the business was closed.

The problem was traced to the water heater's chimney exhaust pipe that separated above the ceiling level.

After making the repairs to the water heater around 1:30 p.m., a city inspector has released the building from condemnation.

The center is now open and may provide medical services to patients.