Chesapeake, Va. - Officials are still working to fix extensive fire damage at a Walmart in Chesapeake.
On November 21, firefighters found an electrical panel burning inside of the store’s electrical room.
The fire was contained to the electrical panel, but firefighters did encounter heavy smoke conditions throughout the rest of the store.
A contractor from Belfor, the company doing the restorations, says all ceiling tiles and merchandise had to be replaced.
Electrical power to the store was turned off by Dominion Virginia Power so that crews could safely extinguish the blaze. The store has been powered by generators for about a week and a half.
Off duty officers have been providing security at the store while it is closed.
"I said 'They must be having once heck of a black Friday sale'," William Evans said. "They had police out here, people blocking it off."
The grocery department and pharmacy reopened on November 28, according to Walmart spokesman Lorenzo Lopez.
For now, shoppers can go to the closest fully operating stores in the area:
Walmart Store 3644
201 Hillcrest Parkway
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Walmart Store 5253
632 Grass Field Parkway
Chesapeake (SW), VA 23322
There were no injuries following the fire, which happened in the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake.
A manager at Walmart says they hope to have the entire store open and running by December 4.