Virginia Beach woman’s apartment cleared out by mistake

Posted at 5:49 PM, Dec 21, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-21 17:49:21-05

Virginia Beach, Va. - Imagine going to work and coming home to find that someone cleared out your apartment and most of your belongings are gone.

It's the reality for Stacy Bacon, who is now in the middle of a lawsuit.

"I feel like if this doesn't resolve itself soon it's going to make me physically sick because I think about it all the time," said Bacon.

Back in 2014, Bacon said she went to work and slept at her son's house near the Oceanfront on the night of March 10th.

On March 11th, she went to work and came home to find two men clearing out her apartment.

The apartment was in disarray when she walked inside.

"They said 'They are paying us 10 bucks an hour to clean this place out' and I told them to stop. There was a mistake," said Bacon.

Bacon said the men were supposed to be moving items from the apartment across the street.

"I lost the material things you collect in a lifetime," said Bacon.

Furniture, baby pictures, jewelry and her personal identification were among her possessions that were thrown away. She said most of the things in her apartment were gone.

"They said that it had already been dumped at the landfill and there was no getting it back," said Bacon.

Bacon said the incident had a terrible effect on her emotionally.

"The depression got really bad, sadness and then sometimes it’s just anger,” said Bacon.

NewsChannel 3 called Dove Landing North apartment complex, who told us that this was a grave error made by the maintenance supervisor.

They said this was a mistake and definitely not done on purpose. They asked NewsChannel 3 to stay off of their property and gave us a number to their lawyer.

“Everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else,” said Bacon.

Now, there is a lawsuit and attorneys are battling it out.

"I want compensation for the things that I lost and the things that can't be replaced. I feel like it was reckless on their part when there were so many steps that could have been taken to prevent it," said Bacon.

It's been 21 months since the incident happened and Stacy says she is tired of waiting and hoping for an apology and the money she feels she is owed.

She said lawyers offered her $60,000, but she did not think that was enough money.

We reached out to attorneys for the Dove Landing Complex who emailed us this statement:

"While we acknowledge the unfortunate circumstances of this nearly two-year-old incident, it is our general policy not to comment on pending litigation. We have faith that the issue will be fairly resolved through the legal process." J. David Crain, Willcox & Savage, P.C.