Three displaced in Hampton House fire

Posted at 6:35 AM, Dec 30, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-30 06:35:40-05

Hampton, Va. – Three people were displaced by a fire in a Hampton home Tuesday night.

Fire and medical personnel responded to the fire in the first block of Mill Creek Terrace in the Phoebus section of the city at approximately 6:30pm.

Residents had observed smoke and heard crackling sounds inside a wall of the home.

As firefighters arrived, smoke was visible on one side of the two-story home.

A resident was using a garden hose in an attempt to extinguish the fire on the side of the home near the chimney.

Crews found fire inside a wall around the fireplace. The fire was contained and extinguished in about 30 minutes before it was able to extend into the attic space.

All residents were able to egress from the home without injury.

Hampton fire investigators have determined that the fire was accidental.