Chesapeake, Va. – Chesapeake Police and Chesapeake Fire Department crews responded to a hazmat situation in the 500 block of Hill Street on Friday morning.
Chesapeake Fire Department spokesman Scott Saunders confirmed there was a jet fuel leak at the Kinder Morgan Terminals.
The 1.1 – 1.2 million gallon tank was leaking from the top of the tank. It occurred when one tank was being drained into another tank.
No one was injured but the surrounding neighborhood of South Hill was evacuated as a precaution. The evacuation included approximately 70 single-family homes, according to Saunders.
Residents who needed immediate shelter were transported to South Norfolk Recreation Center on Godwin Avenue by bus.
Additional updates will be posted as they become available.