Norfolk, Va. – Pest control company Orkin created a Top Mosquito Cities list for the third year in a row.
The list ranks the cities by the number of mosquito customers served in 2015.
Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News ranked 14 out of the 50 cities on the list.
Many are concerned with mosquito activity due to reports of Zika virus. Zika virus is most commonly transmitted through the bite of an infectious mosquito, but cases of transmission through sexual contact and blood transfusion have also been reported.
In January, the Virginia Department of Health confirmed that an adult resident of Virginia was infected with the Zika virus after traveling to a country where the virus transmission is ongoing.
The Chesapeake Mosquito Control Commission is already taking action to prevent the onslaught of mosquitoes, identifying areas in the city where they can treat for mosquito larvae.
Governor Terry McAuliffe announced his plans to create a statewide task force to help Virginia residents prepare for the Zika virus. The Virginia Department of Health will be responsible for creating Virginia localities on mosquito surveillance and control programs before the start of mosquito season on May 1.
Check out the full list here:
- Washington, D.C.
- New York (+9)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (+2)
- Nashville, Tenn. (+3)
- Charlotte, N.C. (+1)
- Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (-3)
- Boston (-3)
- Memphis, Tenn.
- Houston (-7)
- Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
- Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Mich. (-3)
- Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C., Asheville, N.C. (+2)
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y. (+2)
- Cleveland-Akron-Canton (-1)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn. (-4)
- Richmond-Petersburg, Va. (-7)
- Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Hartford-New Haven, Conn.
- Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
- Charleston, S.C.
- Mobile-Pensacola, Fla.
- Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, Mich.
- Bangor, Maine
- West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
- Columbus, Ohio
- Lansing, Mich.
- Knoxville, Tenn.
- Wayne, Ind.
- Tulsa, Okla.
- Baltimore, Md.
- Greensboro-High Pt.-Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Burlington, Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- Portland-Auburn, Ore.
- Buffalo, N.Y.
- Shreveport, La.
- New Orleans
- LaFayette, La.
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
- Birmingham, Ala.
- Austin, Texas
- Kansas City, Mo.
- Macon, Ga.