Newport News, Va. – On Tuesday morning, children had to leave the building of Gildersleeve Middle School after a fire broke out inside of the boy’s restroom. A 14-year-old was arrested.
Dispatchers were notified at 10:48 a.m.
School officials had already evacuated the school before fire crews arrived.
Firefighters say they saw a light, smokey haze on the interior of the school.
They found that a paper towel dispenser was on fire inside of a bathroom.
Crews ventilated the building with fans to make sure all of the smoke was out of the school.
The teen accused is being held in the Juvenile Detention Center.