Only on 3: Victim in Cracker Barrel stabbing explains why he took action

Posted at 1:55 PM, Apr 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-04 21:54:01-04

Chesapeake, Va. (WTKR) - A man stabbed in a Chesapeake Cracker Barrel Sunday afternoon says he feels like God put him there to protect others in the restaurant.

Michael Wolfe and his husband had just been seated at the restaurant on Greenbrier Parkway when they noticed a man at a nearby table acting strangely.

"As soon as I sat down, I noticed a young man and I knew there was something wrong because he was getting louder and louder and louder," Wolfe exclusively told NewsChannel 3's Todd Corillo Monday.

Seconds after they placed their drink order, Wolfe says the man, whom Chesapeake Police say is 20-years-old, jumped up with a knife in his left hand. A woman with him tried to calm the man down, but he then lunged and stabbed another woman at a nearby table in her hand with a butter knife.

Wolfe was already out of his seat at that point and put himself between the man and the woman whom had just been stabbed.

"I told him to just chill out, just sit down, calm down and that’s when he came at me and when he came at me I kind of turned my head this way and that’s when I got my stitches in the ear," Wolfe said.

As he continued to try and talk the man down, Wolfe was stabbed again in the head before finally managing to knock the knife away.

"He came at me again and connected, but that time I was able to get his arms together and bend his arm over and drop the knife and then I went left arm down on his chest and we went down," Wolfe stated.

Chesapeake Police say the suspect has an unspecified medical condition and was taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation.

Both Wolfe and the other woman went to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Wolfe has 16 stitches in his head and another six in his ear.

While many of his friends are hailing him a hero, Wolfe feels like he was put at the restaurant by God.

"I think God sent me there to be there to have dinner there to protect that young lady because it could have been a lot worse."

Chesapeake Police say charges are pending against the 20-year-old suspect.