Only on 3: Atlanta murder suspect speaks from jail, says he’s innocent

Posted at 9:37 PM, Apr 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-08 05:28:40-04

Suffolk, Va. – In a story you will only see on NewsChannel 3, a suspect wanted for a murder in Suffolk talks straight from the jail, hours after being arrested.

After ‘an intense month-long investigation’, deputies with the U.S. Marshal arrested 18-year-old Karlton Boone Jr., also known as Lil’ Jodi, for the murder of 42-year-old Wayne Watford of Suffolk.

According to police, Boone allegedly shot Watford, and then dumped his body in a cemetery.

“This investigation was really a matter of connecting the dots, and putting the pieces of the puzzle together,” said Deputy Chris Leuer.

“For the first couple weeks of our fugitive investigation we focused on right here in Hampton Roads. We had a lot of information that he had stayed local. However over the course of our investigation, we were also able to determine that he had likely fled the area.”

In an exclusive interview with NewsChannel 3, Boone says he had nothing to do with Watford’s murder.

“You said, have I ever heard his name? I don’t even know his name!” Boone told NewsChannel 3’s Merris Badcock. “The only think I know, they said that somebody got killed, and then they wanted to question me, but I never went in for questioning, so they put a warrant out on my arrest.”

Boone was picked up in Atlanta, where deputies say he was hiding out with a friend.

“I was scared,” said Boone. “I was scared. That’s why I left [Virginia]. They tried to say I murder somebody.”

Now, Boone says he just wants to go home.

“I just want to get to Virginia. I need to get to Virginia for everything to get done."

Boone is just a few days away from his 18th birthday, and he says he is not looking forward to spending it behind bars.

“When we are asked to locate or apprehend someone, we don’t discriminate based off age,” said Leuer. “He’s only 18 years old, but this is not his first encounter with law enforcement. I’ll leave it at that.”

According to court records, some of Boone’s previous charges include abduction and distribution of cocaine.

For Watford’s murder, Boone was charged with first-degree murder, use of a firearm in commission of a felony and other charges.

He maintains his innocence, but has a message to Watford’s family.

“I’m sorry that the man got killed or whatever,” said Boone, “but I didn’t do it. I hope they find the man who done it, and I hope the family be ok. That’s all I can say.”

NewsChannel 3 reached out to the victim’s family. No one we spoke with wanted to go on camera, but they say they do not know Boone, and are not sure how police tied the two together.