Suspect held in University of Texas freshman’s death

Posted at 11:52 AM, Apr 08, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-08 11:52:49-04

A suspect is in custody in connection with the death of University of Texas freshman Haruka Weiser, Austin police tweeted Friday.

The arrest came after Austin firefighters alerted police about a small fire involving a book bag that may have contained some of Weiser’s belongings, Austin Fire Department spokeswoman Michelle Tanzola said.

Authorities this week announced that they believed they had a suspect and asked for the public’s help in identifying him.

Troy Gay, assistant police chief at the Austin Police Department, showed surveillance video of the suspect walking with a bike.

Weiser’s body was found around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday in a creek near the Etter-Harbin Alumni Center, on the university campus and not far from the school’s football stadium, officials said.

Her death shook many on the Austin campus, with University President Gregory L. Fenves telling reporters that “our home has been violated.”

“Our hearts go out to the victim and her family,” he said, “and we will be investigating this very actively.”

Weiser, a first-year theater and dance major, was last seen leaving the drama building Sunday night.

A ‘beloved daughter, sister and friend’

In a statement this week, Weiser’s family thanked the university community for its support and asked for privacy.

In addition to dance, Weiser was declaring a second major in premed and had plans to visit family in Japan this summer. She was remembered as a “beloved daughter, sister and friend.”

“Although Haruka loved to perform on stage she never sought the spotlight in her daily life. Perhaps the last thing she would want is to be the poster child for any cause.

“And yet, as we struggle to understand why she was killed, if her death can somehow make it safer for a young woman to walk home, if it will prevent another assault or murder, then at least we could find some meaning behind an otherwise senseless and tragic death,” her family wrote.

Dance faculty members first met Weiser when she performed at the National High School Dance Festival more than two years ago. They recruited her to go to UT from her home in Oregon.

She was mourned there by Dance West, where she used to dance.

“With indescribable sadness, we mourn the tragic loss of one of our very own, Haruka Weiser. Please join us in honoring this bright and beautiful Dance West alum dancer/family member and friend who has touched the hearts of us all. Rest in Peace & Power,” Dance West posted on Facebook.

Police have ruled the first-year student’s death a homicide.