NORFOLK, Va. - People who want Norfolk City Treasurer Anthony Burfoot out of office will have to wait a little longer to make their case.
During a pretrial conference Thursday, a judge ruled that Burfoot’s recall trial will start after his federal case is finished.
Both the defense and prosecution agreed with the judge’s decision in court.
“We’re satisfied with that,” said Andrew Sack, Burfoot’s attorney.
Sack’s said overall they are disappointed that thousands of citizens signed a recall petition after he was indicted on 8 corruption charges earlier this year by the federal government.
“He is certainly disappointed people have seen fit to say things that he said are not true and at the same time he's anxious to prove those accusations are not true and defeat them in court,” said Sacks, “We have faith in the system faith in the process and we believe that at the end of the day he will be acquitted and he will deserve the banner headlines of his acquittal as much as he has gotten headlines about his indictment.”
The 48-year-old has been serving the city of Norfolk since 2002 as a councilman, then as Vice Mayor, and now as City Treasurer.
He's accused of using his position as a city official to make business deals. Prosecutors allege that he would get cash, car payments and even appliances along with other benefits for helping local businessmen.
The accusations he firmly denies -- meanwhile Burfoot remains in office continuing to serve as city treasurer in Norfolk.
The federal trial is scheduled for November 7 through early December.
The recall trial will likely start in January.