News

Actions

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to miss the rest of the 2016 NASCAR season

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:25 AM, Sep 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-02 10:25:54-04

DARLINGTON, S.C. – NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will miss the rest of the 2016 season as he recovers from a concussion suffered earlier this year.

The announcement was made Friday morning by Hendrick Motorsports. They said Alex Bowman and Jeff Gordon will split time in the No. 88 Chevrolet to complete the remaining 12 races in the season.

Gordon will drive as Earnhardt’s replacement on Sunday in the Bojangles Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway.

“I wish I could return to the No. 88 team this season,” Earnhardt said in a release provided by the team. “To say I’m disappointed doesn’t begin to describe how I feel, but I know this is the right thing for my long-term health and career. I’m 100 percent focused on my recovery, and I will continue to follow everything the doctors tell me. They’re seeing good progress in my test results, and I’m feeling that progress physically. I plan to be healthy and ready to compete at Daytona in February. I’m working toward that.”

Earnhardt is believed to have suffered the injury in a crash in June at Michigan International Speedway.