Virginia Beach / Chesapeake: Elbow Rd will reopen today by 5:00 PM. Elbow Rd closed in the beginning of April. After five months work is now complete on the stretch of Elbow Road from Indian River Rd to Butts Station and the City of Chesapeake will send out an alert when they signs are removed.
Gilmerton Bridge 9:00 AM, Noon, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM – M-F Daily – 9:00 AM & 3:00 PM Saturday and Sunday
LANE CLOSURES LIFTED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND TRAVEL: Alternate route encouraged for Virginia Beach, Outer Banks traffic
MOST MAJOR WORK ZONES SUSPENDED DURING HOLIDAY TRAVEL
*****VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia from noon Friday, Sept. 2, until noon Tuesday, Sept. 6.*****
BEACH TRAFFIC ENCOURAGED TO USE ROUTE 460
While Interstate 64 Widening is in progress in Newport News, James City County and York County, motorists planning a through-trip to Virginia Beach or the Outer Banks are encouraged to use Route 460 as an alternate route to avoid congestion.
HAMPTON ROADS HOV SCHEDULE, TUNNELS AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV diamond lanes – HOV restrictions will be lifted on all HOV diamond lanes on Monday, Sept. 5.
- I-64 reversible lanes − Lanes will operate on regular schedule Friday, Sept. 2 and Monday, Sept. 5. The information below shows changes to the schedule:
- Saturday, Sept. 3 − eastbound open to all traffic.
- Sunday, Sept. 4 − westbound open to all traffic at 11 a.m.
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) – Local traffic to Virginia Beach is encouraged to use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) as an alternative to the HRBT. To Virginia Beach, take I-664 south to the MMMBT. Then take the Portsmouth/Norfolk exit (exit 15A) to I-264 east to Virginia Beach.
- Travel to Outer Banks – Local traffic to the North Carolina Outer Banks should use I-664 and the MMMBT to save time. From I-664 south, take I-64 west to exit 292, Chesapeake Expressway/I-464/Route 17. Keep left to continue to the Chesapeake Expressway (Route 168), and take Nags Head/Great Bridge (exit 291B) to the Outer Banks.
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) – Tune to 1680 AM to stay informed on Hampton Roads traffic, travel conditions and construction information.
WORK ZONES AND OTHER TRAFFIC ALERTS
While VDOT will lift most lane closures for holiday travel, motorists may encounter permanent work zones or travel delays in the following locations:
Route 609 – Road closed for widening project. Follow detour.
Route 709 – Road closed for widening project. Follow detour.
Isle of Wight County
U.S. 58 – Replacing bridge over rail tracks and Route 632. Follow detour.
Route 680 – Replacing bridge over Stallings Creek. Follow detour.
I-64 – Widening interstate. Trucks traveling westbound restricted to right lane between Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) and Yorktown Road (exit 247).
I-264 – Constructing Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension. Right lane closed both directions between Portsmouth Boulevard and Effingham Street. Two lanes open to traffic.
ERT WEEKLY CONSTRUCTION DOWNTOWN AND MIDTOWN TUNNELS: Friday, Sept. 2 to Friday, Sept. 9
Lane closures and tunnel closures are suspended for the Labor Day holiday from noon Friday, Sept. 2 until noon on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
Below is a list of significant tunnel/lane closures for the Elizabeth River Tunnels (ERT) Project. Due to the nature of construction, closure dates are subject to change. Visit our Travel Impacts page for current information and a more detailed listing of long-term temporary road closures.
U.S. 58 East: No closures during Labor Day holiday weekend.
U.S. 58 East: Full weekend tunnel closure from Friday, Sept. 9 at 8 p.m. through Monday, Sept. 12 at 5 a.m.
London Boulevard East/ U.S. 58: Full on-ramp closure Tuesday through Sunday, Sept. 6-11 from 7 p.m. each night until 5 a.m. the following morning.
I-264 East/ Frederick Boulevard: Full off-ramp closure Tuesday through Friday, Sept. 6-9 from 8 p.m. each night until 5 a.m. the following morning.
HAMPTON ROADS WEEKLY LANE CLOSURES REPORT: September 2, 2016 through September 9, 2016
*There will be no lane closures along Hampton Roads Interstates from noon Friday, September 2, 2016 until noon Tuesday, September 6, 2016 for Labor Day Holiday Weekend*
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel: Single-lane closures westbound. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Westbound September 6-8 from 9 p.m. until 4:30 a.m. the following morning.
- I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel: Alternating and single-lane closures northbound and southbound as follows. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Northbound September 7-8 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- US-17 James River Bridge: Night-time single-lane closures southbound. One lane will remain open at all times:
- September 6 from 12 p.m. until 3 p.m.
- September 7-9 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- I-64 High Rise Bridge: Single-lane closures as follows eastbound and westbound. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Westbound September 6-8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Terminal Boulevard Resurfacing, Norfolk: Full weeknight/weekend closures westbound as follows:
- Weeknights September 6-8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Weekend of September 9-11: Westbound full closure from Friday at 8 p.m. until Monday at 5 a.m.
- I-464 Northbound/Southbound, Chesapeake: Alternating lane closures as follows northbound and southbound. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Northbound September 7-8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning between Poindexter and South Main Street.
- Southbound September 7-8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning from Berkley Avenue and South Main Street.
- I-64 Eastbound Ramp to I-664 Southbound, Hampton: Single-lane closures September 7-8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning on the I-64 eastbound ramp (exit 264) to I-664 southbound. One lane will remain open at all times.
- I-664 Northbound Ramp to I-64 Westbound, Hampton: Single-lane closures September 8 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning on the I-664 northbound ramp to I-64 westbound. One lane will remain open at all times.
- I-564 Eastbound, Norfolk: Single- lane closures eastbound September 6-8 from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning between Terminal Boulevard and Norfolk Naval Station Gates 3A and 3.
- Military Highway Continuous Flow Intersection, Norfolk: Alternating single-lane closures as follows. One lane will remain open at all times:
- September 6-Septemeber 10: Single-lane closures northbound from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning on Military Highway between Lowery Road and the intersection Military Highway/Princess Anne Road.
- September 6-Septemeber 10: Alternating single-lane closures eastbound and westbound from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning on Princess Anne Road between Cowand Avenue and the intersection of Military Highway.
- I-95 Bridge Replacement over the Meherrin River Southbound, Emporia: Consecutive single-lane closures southbound as follows. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Southbound September 7-8 from 1 a.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning between U.S. 58 eastbound ramp and Exit 11 at the Greensville County and Town of Emporia Line. U.S. 58 eastbound ramp will remain open at all times.
- I-95 Northbound/Southbound, Greenville County: Alternating lane closures northbound and southbound as follows. One lane will remain open at all times:
- Northbound/Southbound September 7-8 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. between Exit 13 and Exit 12.
- Northbound/Southbound September 8 from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. between Exit 4 and Moores Ferry Road.
- US-60 Eastbound/Westbound, James City County: Consecutive single-lane closures eastbound and westbound September 7-16 from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. between Forge Road and Industrial Boulevard. One lane will remain open at all times.
- US-13 (Lankford Highway), Northampton County: Daytime single-lane closures northbound and southbound in Onley. One lane will remain open at all times:
- September 6-8 from as early as 7 a.m. until as late as 7 p.m.
- September 9 from as early as 7 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- Elizabeth River Tunnels/Martin Luther King, Jr. Freeway: Please check Elizabeth River Tunnels website for the latest closure and detour information regarding the Downtown Tunnel, Midtown Tunnel and the MLK Freeway.
- I-564 Intermodal Connector, Norfolk: Please check http://www.i564intermodal.com/ for the latest closure/detour information.
- George Washington Memorial Highway (Route 17), York County: Crews are widening the road between Route 630 (Wolf Trap Road) and Route 706 (Hampton Highway). Daytime single-lane closures, from 9 a.m.to 3 p.m. and weeknight single-lane closures, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Expect traffic shifts and delays. For more about this project, please visit the Route 17 Widening website.
VIRGINIA BEACH: Temporary Road Closure for the NAS Oceana Air Show:
London Bridge Road between Central Drive and International Parkway
London Bridge Road will be temporarily closed to through traffic between Central Drive and International Parkway for the NAS Oceana Air Show from 12 noon to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 8, 2016, and 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily on Friday, September 9, Saturday, September 10, and Sunday, September 11.
Absolutely no traffic will be allowed on the road during this time. Advanced warning signs will be posted advising motorists of the alternate routes.
VIRGINIA BEACH: Road Work on Indian River Road Started Monday the 15th
Virginia Beach Public Works has announced a roadway improvements project on Indian River Road will begin Monday, August 15, 2016. The project will begin at Speed Fentress Bridge and Indian River Road to North Landing Road, and will include milling, paving and pavement marking work.
Crews will be working in the evenings from 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. If any daytime work is needed, it will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. If any weekend work is needed, the work hours will be from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The project is scheduled to be completed by September 1, 2016.
NORFOLK: Military Highway Continuous Flow Intersection work northbound and southbound. Two lanes will remain open at all times: