Carelessly discarded smoking material causes fire in Suffolk

Posted at 11:33 PM, Sep 30, 2016

Suffolk Towers Apartments fire (Photo: City of Suffolk)

SUFFOLK, Va. – Fire & Rescue crews responded to a commercial structure fire Friday night.

Crews were called to the Suffolk Towers Apartments in the 100 block of North Main Street around 8:45 p.m.

The fire was contained to a vacant apartment on the 6th floor and was under control just after 9 p.m.

The unit sustained minor damage.

The building was evacuated during the incident and all occupants were allowed to return to after the fire was extinguished.

There were not any injuries and no one was displaced as a result of the incident.

The cause of the fire was a carelessly discarded smoking material.

Battalion 1, Battalion 2, Engines 1, 2, 3, 4, Rescue 1, Ladders 3, 5, Medic 1A, EMS 1, Fire Marshal 1 and Suffolk Police responded to the incident.

The road was closed to traffic for a short time during the incident.