When it comes to storing groceries, many people err on the side of caution and put just about everything in the fridge, but it turns out that may not be a good idea.
Certain items taste better when they’re stored at room temperature.
The tech website CNET came up with a list of 25 items you don’t need to refrigerate.
Here are a couple of the items on their list:
- bread – It can actually go stale faster in the fridge, so just put it in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature.
- basil – It absorbs fridge smells, so it’s better to just leave it in a cup of water on the counter like you would with fresh cut flowers.
- tomatoes – Putting them in the fridge can alter their flavor and make them rot faster.
- avocados – They’ll ripen much faster if they’re left out on the counter.
- berries – They can be left in a bowl on your counter
- apples and peaches – These are fine to keep in a basket in your pantry.