On October 23, 2001, Apple changed the way millions of people listened to music.
The original iPod was created, offering “1,000 songs in your pocket.”
Fifteen years later, the iPod’s style is still evolving. The iPod touch, or iTouch, comes in five colors and has a camera. There are also two smaller versions of the iPod, the nano and the shuffle.
Here are some highlights of the iPod’s history:
- October 2001: Apple presents iPod
- 2002: 600,000 iPods sold
- April 2003: Apple launches iTunes music store, sells one million songs in its first week
- June 2003: One millionth iPod sold
- January 2004: Apple introduces iPod mini
- January 2005: iPod shuffle introduced
- 2005: 42 million iPods sold, iPod nano replaces iPod mini
- February 2006: iTunes sells one billionth song
- 2010: 275 million iPods sold
- 2015: Over 400 million iPods sold