Norfolk officers who killed armed man in April barricade situation face no charges

Posted at 6:03 PM, Oct 28, 2016

barricadeNORFOLK, Va. – Two officers who shot and killed a man barricaded in his home in April will not be charged, according to the Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney.

30-year-old Eric Wakup was killed by police snipers on April 22 after he abducted two of this three roommates and barricaded himself in their home with multiple firearms.

The incident started on April 21 when Wakup’s roommate Kenneth Bryant came home to their house in the 1300 block of Church Street.

Bryant was Wakup’s half-brother and when he got home Wakup was wearing a bandanna and masking tape around his face while holding a .38 caliber handgun.

Wakup motioned to Bryant to open his gun safe in which Bryant kept 13 firearms and ammunition. Wakup then forced Bryant at gunpoint to bind his own ankles and Wakup then bound his wrists with tape before ordering Bryant into a sleeping bag.

Bryant was in the sleeping bag for about two hours before the third roommate came home. Storm Bazarsky got Wakup’s attention and in that time frame Bryant was able to free himself and run out of the back door. Wakup responded by firing one of two handguns he was holding through the living room wall.

Bazarsky was then able to convince Wakup that he would go get Bryant so he was also able to leave the house.

The two roommates then called police and told them what happened. They said Wakup had doors, stairs, and windows inside the residence barricaded with furniture.

Arrest warrants were issued and police, along with the Hostage Negotiation Team responded to the scene.

After about five hours of attempted negotiations through phone calls and robot attempts authorities deployed tear has into the home.

Shortly after Wakup came came out of the home through the front door with a long gun in one hand and a handgun in the other. Officers Montrell Martin and Jason Casel saw Wakup and when he raised a gun toward the Norfolk Police Officers, Martin and Casel each fired one shot striking Wakup, resulting in his death. Wakup was killed on April 22 at 12:49 a.m.

Wakup’s roommates reported that he had a history of drug and alcohol abuse problems as well as mental health issues. Wakup was also convicted of a felony in 2008 on cocaine charges in Illinois.

The Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney said Friday that Officers Casel and Martin’s use of force was dictated by Wakup’s actions. As a result of these findings no charges will be sought against the officers in the death of Wakup.