Ben Fitzgerald III (I), running for Suffolk City Council in the Nansemond Borough
1. Why are you running for office?
I’m running to serve Northern Suffolk on City Council to bring resident concerns to the forefront of our local government’s decision making process.
2. Why should people vote for you?
At 36, I’d be the youngest Councilperson AND the only sitting Councilperson with children attending Suffolk Public School. Those things will bring a perspective missing from our current City Council.
3. What’s your favorite thing about the area you want to represent?
So many of my neighbors, like myself, are transplants to Suffolk from somewhere else! The one thing we have in common is that we’ve decided Northern Suffolk is the absolute best place to settle and put down roots.
4. What is the biggest problem your area is facing? How will you fix it?
First, I must say our area is awesome. However, a focus on balanced growth yielding projects like planned greenspace, recreational venues, and other quality of life improvements are noticeably absent from Northern Suffolk.
5. Describe Donald Trump in max 3 words?
A fearless candidate.
6. Describe Hillary Clinton in max 3 words?
A tenacious candidate.
7. What do you do for a living? Why do you do it?
I work in the non-profit sector developing projects and programs to serve vulnerable populations in Hampton Roads. I enjoy making life better for those we serve.
8. You’re going to be marooned on a tropical island for a week. You can only bring one thing; what is it?
A hunting knife.
9. What do you think of Colin Kaepernick?
I think Mr. Kaepernick has made the decision to express himself in a way viewed as offensive to many in our country. However, non-violent protest is a proven vehicle for social change.
10. Would you vote to fund light rail expansion in your area?
Under the right conditions, yes. Financial planning and resident buy-in is key to making light rail work in Northern Suffolk. Light rail is key to making regionalism work in Hampton Roads. Light rail is inevitable. When it happens, would need to be explored.
11. Will you respect the outcome of the election?
Yes, I will respect the outcome of the election. I view my opponent as a good man; I only differ with him on issues regarding government.
12. Favorite TV Show?
The Good Place with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell.