James “Greg” Willis (I), running for Windsor City Council
1. Why are you running for office?
I enjoy serving my community & I can directly impact the way local tax dollars are spent & not spent. We are directed to be good stewards of the tax payer’s money & in the last 8 years, I been able to help hold the tax rate steady & our town debt is minimal. I also would like to see our New Town Center Complex moved farther along before coming off.
2. Why should people vote for you?
I have served my community since coming to Windsor in 1986 as Past President of the Windsor Volunteer Rescue Squad, Past President of the Windsor Lions Club, & 2 terms as a town councilman. I have also worked in the town @ Isle of Wight Co Farm Bureau since 93 One of my first decisions on council was in the reworking of the Holland Meadows development in order to get it back off the ground with the developer & getting homes built on the property instead of the property sitting there dead and undeveloped.
3. What’s your favorite thing about the area you want to represent?
I so enjoy the small town atmosphere. When I walk into local businesses, I always run into folks I know by name & they know me. Our crime rate is the lowest in the area. I feel pretty safe in my home at night.
4. What is the biggest problem your area is facing, how will you fix it?
Drainage & sidewalk development. For which we are working with VDOT to get engineering & right-or-way work done as we speak & looking for grants to work on difficult drainage areas.
5. Describe Donald Trump in max 3 words?
6. Describe Hillary Clinton in max 3 words?
7. What do you do for a living? Why do you do it?
I work for Isle of Wight Co Farm Bureau & specialize in health insurance sales for both over & under 65 years of age. When this opportunity opened up for me, there were no health policies being sold in this office so I carved myself out a niche in order to make myself vital to the operation of the office. I enjoy the interaction with all the folks that call & come in. Having become severely visually impaired in 92, this was a great option other than sitting at home not working. My job & serving my community are what drive me.
8. You’re going to be marooned on a tropical island for a week, you can only bring 1 thing – what is it?
9. What do you think of Colin Kaepernick?
I understand he has a right to free speech, however, there are repercussions to that free speech. Say what you want & act like you want but be ready to receive the fallout.
10. Would you vote to fund light rail expansion in your area?
11. Will you respect the outcome of the election?
I will respect the office of the presidency, I may struggle to respect the individual but I will pray for those individuals.