LaKeesha “Klu” Atkinson, running for Portsmouth School Board
1. Why are you running for office?
As an advocate for children, I wanted to be involved in the decision making in Portsmouth Public Schools to ensure we are budgeting in the best interest of the teachers, parents, and students and to be a voice for the unheard.
2. Why should people vote for you?
The people of Portsmouth should vote for me because I bring a fresh face along with bringing innovative ideas to table that cater to the 21st century learner. This include being full STEAM ahead by incorporating Arts in the already existing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math model, preparing students for life after high school, and other then college, developing entrepreneurs and business owners, and alternatives and solutions to combat the school to prison pipeline.
3. What’s your favorite thing about the area you want to represent?
Since I am a candidate for school board, I would want to represent Portsmouth Public Schools.
4. What is the biggest problem your area is facing, how will you fix it?
The biggest problem in the area is our suspension rate. We have to advocate for a less punitive behavioral model for minor violations, while embracing a therapeutic approach to figure out the root cause of the behavior.
5. Describe Donald Trump in max 3 words?
The Apprentice Producer
6. Describe Hillary Clinton in max 3 words?
Former First Lady
7. What do you do for a living? Why do you do it?
Supplier Relationship Manager – Finance. An opportunity was presented to me, and with no experience I was up for the challenge. It ended up being a success and a good move.
8. You’re going to be marooned on a tropical island for a week, you can only bring 1 thing – what is it?
My fanny pack
9. What do you think of Colin Kaepernick?
Colin is a versatile quarterback who not only has a pass game, but a good run game as well.
10. Would you vote to fund light rail expansion in your area?
11. Will you respect the outcome of the election?
12. Favorite TV Show?