William & Mary’s late touchdown seals a road win over Stony Brook

Posted at 11:29 PM, Nov 05, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-05 23:31:44-04

STONY BROOK, N.Y. (Tribe Athletics) - The William & Mary football team earned a hard-fought 14-9 victory at No. 25 Stony Brook on Saturday afternoon.

The Tribe allowed just 210 total yards and held SBU to 2 of 12 on third downs. W&M was especially dominant against the pass and limited SBU quarterbacks Joe Carbone and Pat Irwin to combine for just 4 of 19 for 53 yards with two interceptions.

In addition to the impressive stats, the Tribe posted a huge defensive stand in the waning minutes of the contest to preserve the victory, as Stony Brook turned the ball over on downs at W&M’s 13-yard line with 1:59 remaining with the teams separated by just a touchdown, 14-7.

Senior running back Kendell Anderson provided the Tribe’s lone rushing touchdown, while senior quarterback Steve Cluley connected with junior wideout Daniel Kuzjak for the other score – both of which came during the second quarter. Kuzjak finished with a game-high eight catches for 79 yards to go with his 4-yard touchdown reception.

Although Morgan’s special teams touchdown was the lone score in the opening quarter, Anderson knotted the contest with a 1-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter. The 11-play, 54-yard drive began after junior strong safety Richie DiPietro intercepted Carbone.

The Tribe added its only other touchdown on its next possession when Cluley connected on a 4-yard strike to Kuzjak.

In addition to limiting the Seawolves to just 102 total yards in the opening 30 minutes, W&M did not allow any passing yards in the first half and added a second interception with senior linebacker Stephen Lubnow picked off Carbone late in the second quarter.

W&M’s lone scoring opportunity in the second half came on a 42-yard field goal attempt by redshirt freshman Kris Hooper midway through the fourth quarter, but the attempt was blocked.

The Seawolves nearly capitalized off the big play and drove to W&M’s 7-yard line on its ensuing drive, but the Tribe’s defense stopped SBU on downs with less than two minutes remaining.

After the Tribe then elected to take a safety on fourth down, Stony Brook had one last chance from its own 39 with 0:20 remaining. However, W&M’s defense did not allow a completion en route to securing the victory.

The Tribe will return to action when it travels to Towson next Saturday at noon. The game will be televised on American Sports Network.