Woman says couple targeted her and stole wallet from purse while on camera in Chesapeake

Posted at 12:13 PM, Jan 25, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-25 17:06:59-05

CHESAPEAKE, VA. - Nancy Thorpe told News 3's Aleah Hordges that she was targeted by a couple who stole her wallet while shopping at Tuesday Morning off South Battlefield Boulevard around 1 p.m on Wednesday.

The couple was seen on surveillance video allegedly stealing the victim's wallet out of her purse while it was sitting in the shopping cart.

"I don't want this to happen to anybody else," mentioned Thorpe.

She says it happened all so fast.

She describes the theft as a collaborative effort between a man and a woman who used their charm to the complete the crime.

Thorpe said she was shopping inside Tuesday Morning off South Battlefield Boulevard around 1 p.m on Wednesday.

The woman on surveillance is accused of distracting Thorpe.

"She knew what she was doing and I didn't and I was having a conversation and tried to be nice to the lady," the victim said.

The video shows the woman leading the victim to the next aisle inside the store minutes later.

Then a man approached the cart.

"Somebody was that close to me and he was there for a good while and I never sense that he was there."

The victim's wallet was allegedly taken out of her purse minutes later.

"I did not realize that my wallet was taken," added Thorpe. "I didn't realize until I went to purchase something at Tuesday Morning."

The couple quickly took off, yet Nancy continues her shopping while not knowing her wallet was gone.

"I opened it up and there were five transactions. The first transaction was at Target for like $824," continued Thorpe.

Police believe the accused thieves spent more than $3,000 on the victim's credit card.

The couple allegedly stopped at Gamestop and two Walmarts.

Thorpe tells News 3 a theft like this is a reminder for all women to take extra steps to protect their purse when they're out shopping.

"Which I have a tendency to leave open was in the baby seat  which I hear was not a very good place to put it," she said.

Chesapeake police are still investigating the incident.