Man airlifted to hospital with severe burns after Suffolk fire

Posted at 8:28 AM, Jan 31, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-31 18:59:33-05

SUFFOLK, Va. – A man was airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital Wednesday morning after being severely burned by a fire.

Officials responded to a report of a person on fire at Ervin Architectural Products in the 1200 block of Carolina Road.

Units arrived to the scene around 7:39 a.m. and found a man suffering from severe burns.

Fire officials say the man was working on an outside boiler when a flash fire occurred. The building didn’t catch on fire.

The man was taken to the hospital via helicopter. He is said to be in critical condition.

After a preliminary investigation, authorities do not believe foul play was involved. The Suffolk Fire Marshal’s Office said that the victim was reportedly trying to start the boiler that feeds water and heat to the business. He attempted to use gasoline as an accelerant, which resulted in the flash fire that burned him.

Battalion 1, Rescue 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Engine 1, Engine 4, Medic 3A, Safety 1, Fire Marshal 6, EMS 1, Sheriff 10, and Suffolk Police responded to the incident.

The incident is still under investigation.