Norfolk stepmom still searching for answers after 2010 murder of her stepson

Posted at 4:12 PM, Feb 07, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-08 23:31:04-05

NORFOLK, Va. - The body of a 16-year-old was found after he was brutally murdered underneath a bridge in 2010.

Latesha Adams is desperate for answers after Quamon Wilson was found dead on September 12, 2010.

"I remember that day like it was yesterday," said Adams.

Adams said she needed to get up for work early the next day but her stepson did not come home.

The teen had just transferred to Booker T. Washington High School.

Family photo

"I said he better be dead, in jail or in the hospital because he should've been home." Adams said, "I was so mad. I was like why is he not in the house and just to know that he was three minutes away from me, dead."

Adams said she picked up the newspaper the morning he did not return home and noticed an article about a man - possibly a teen -  that was found dead under a bridge near her home.

She and her husband went to Woodland Avenue and spoke with police at the scene. They were directed to go to the police department and were told Wilson was dead.

Adams said her husband freaked out and smashed his hand against the table while she sobbed. It was the worst day of her life.

Wilson was shot several times and police said his body was found near the railroad tracks.

News 3 was at the scene when the shooting happened.

To this day, police say no one has been charged in relation to his shooting death and the investigation is classified as a cold case.

"Every case is totally different and there is no set time limit when a case becomes a cold case. It's when you have exhausted all leads and you haven't come up with enough probable cause to get a warrant. Then the case becomes inactive until more information becomes available," said Tidewater Community College Department of Criminal Justice Head Richard James.

James is also a retired Norfolk Detective and said he remembers when this teen was murdered.

He said cold cases can be challenging however advancements in technology and new fingerprint databases could eventually help lead to an arrest.

James said there is one thing the family should never do.

"The family should never give up. We always have advancements in technology. We can go back and revisit some of the evidence that we have maybe a small little clue that we overlooked that can be tested," he said.

Adams said her husband died of heart failure a few years after Quamon was murdered, but she believes it was the loss of their son that really killed him.

"He never wanted to close his eyes before getting justice for Quamon but he did pass before then, so now I think it's my job to try to get justice for him. It's been seven years and it's seven years too long," said Adams. "I had so much anger towards whoever did it; it was just eating at me so now I pray for them."

She prays and remembers the way her son used to make her laugh.

"Every day is a struggle. There is a picture of him on my wall and sometimes I talk to him a lot of things he used to do make me smile," said Wilson.

She hopes one day she can face his killer or killers in court and believes people know what happened in his case and other unsolved murders in our region.

"I think as citizens of Norfolk and of the United States we have an obligation to give information to local police departments. If they can get these dangerous people off the streets we are safer community," said James.

"I`m waiting; I'm waiting impatiently waiting. I know one day I will get justice," she said.