Child playing with lighter causes accidental house fire in Portsmouth

Posted at 10:50 PM, Mar 27, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-27 22:50:47-04

PORTSMOUTH, Va. – Firefighters with the Portsmouth Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 2600 block of High Street Monday night.

Dispatchers received the call around 8:50 p.m. When crews arrived at the scene, they discovered that a bedroom mattress was on fire.

The fire was quickly distinguished and determined to be accidental in nature due to a child playing with a lighter.

Two adults and two children have been displaced. No injuries were reported.

Download the News 3 app for updates.