Body of former Norfolk officer killed in Georgia returns home

Posted at 10:53 PM, Dec 20, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-20 22:53:06-05

NORFOLK, Va. - A former Norfolk law enforcement officer who was killed while off-duty in Georgia last week returned home to Hampton Roads.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers and Norfolk area law enforcement officers assisted with the "dignified return home of CBP trainee Wolf Valmond" at Norfolk International Airport Friday evening, a CBP spokesperson said.

Wolf Valmond (Photo courtesy: Sheriff Joe Baron)

After news of Valmond's death, Norfolk Sheriff Joe Baron said the 37-year-old served with the Norfolk Sheriff's Office and the Norfolk Police Department before joining federal law enforcement.

According to the CBP spokesperson, Valmond was a Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Office of Field Operations trainee assigned to the Baltimore Field Office when he died. He joined the CBP in November and was a trainee at the CBP Field Operations Academy at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Georgia.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and our thoughts are with Valmond's family, friends and fellow classmates during this difficult time," a the spokesperson said.

Police in Georgia say Valmond was killed during a fight at a bar called Rafters in the St. Simons Island area of the state around 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, December 16. Officials said the fight started inside and moved outside.

The suspect, Calvin Jenkins, is then accused of pulling out a firearm from his vehicle and shooting Valmond twice.

Police later stated that a second arrest was made involving this case. 25-year-old Naasir Kurmue was arrested and charged with Simple Battery for allegedly punching Valmond in the back of the head during his altercation with Jenkins.

Norfolk Sheriff Joe Baron issued a statement after Valmond's tragic death:

“It is with a very heavy heart we received the news of the completely senseless murder of Wolf Valmond. He served honorably with the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office, then the Norfolk Police Department, and had recently joined Federal Law enforcement. Always had a smile for everyone he encountered. Always ready to serve and protect. Kind, warm, smart, and loving. He will be missed by all who knew him, but he is a great loss to our community and our nation as someone who stood the line to keep us all safe. Praying for his family and friends. May he Rest In Peace.”