SUFFOLK, Va. - 200 residents had to leave their homes after 100 apartments were damaged in a house fire Saturday morning.
Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded to the 1100 Block of Knotts Pointe Lane for a commercial fire alarm around 8:40 a.m. Families tell News 3 reporter Kelsey Jones this is not how they pictured spending their Saturday.
Many people are now moving to hotels and some calling family members to ask if they can stay with them. However one woman is highly concerned about the well being of her disabled husband.
"I literally have no place to stay in a sense where I have no power" said one resident.
Firefighters blazing through the heavy smoke showing from the electrical room of the five story apartment building at Royal Sail apartments. The fire leaving many shaken up.
Officials said the smoke progressed throughout the rest of the building, but for Linda Morris she said it's an inconvenience.
Linda Morris, Lives at apartment complex sad "I'm concerned about staying here because were on the 3rd floor, he would not be able to get out of the 3rd floor. You know if something happened God forbid a fire he wouldn't be able to get out."
Her husband was not home thankfully, but her worst nightmare became a reality.
"I really would like to be out of this lease to find somewhere that's more accommodating and I wont have to be in dread or fear of a fire" said Morris.
But just a couple doors down, another person is also without power but is happy knowing that's all she has to deal with.
"They think Monday someone will come in and look at it and it could take like a week to fix. In the meantime I'm going to go live with my daughter family" said Monica Gerand who lives at the apartment complex.
The fire was suppressed in the mechanical room on the first floor with smoke extending to the four floors above the mechanical room. The fire was placed under control at 9:31 a.m.
The apartment complex’s maintenance person arrived on the scene and Dominion Virginia Power secured power to the apartment building and service drop to the entire building.
According to firefighters, there is heavy fire damage to the electrical service drops and panel box in the mechanical room. No injuries were reported by firefighters or the residents.
The complex's management is working with people who are without a home tonight, helping them with relocation and housing while electrical services are restored in the building.