VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - As the first day of summer kicks off, Virginia Beach residents in need can apply for financial assistance to help cool off.
The Department of Human Services is now accepting applications for the Cooling Assistance Program until the program ends on August 15. The program provides financial assistance for the purchase or repair of cooling equipment and/or payment of an electric bill to operate cooling equipment.
To be eligible, a household must contain at least one vulnerable person who is:
- Less than 6 years old, or
- More than 60 years old, or
In addition, households must:
- Be in Virginia Beach
- Have a cooling expense responsibility
- Provide a copy of their current electric bill
- Not exceed earned and unearned income limits