Carnival Cruise Line announced Friday that it has signed a five-year agreement with the City of Norfolk to operate seasonal cruises from the Half Moone Cruise Center through 2025.
Norfolk Mayor Kenny Alexander made the announcement at a press conference, where he was joined by Terry Thornton, Carnival's Senior Vice President of Nautical and Port Operations.
As part of the agreement, the city has agreed to make investments at the Half Moone Cruise Center to accommodate larger vessels and provide an enhanced guest experience, including a new boarding bridge that will streamline the process of getting on and off the ship, among a host of other improvements.
Alexander and Thornton also announced that the 130,000-ton Carnival Magic will become the largest cruise ship to ever sail from Norfolk when it launches a series of 12 cruises from the port in 2021. It will carry nearly 50,000 guests.
“Norfolk has been a valued partner for nearly 20 years, and we’re delighted to expand upon this relationship with this five-year contract that will bring exciting new choices from the Half Moone Cruise Center,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “Our cruises from Norfolk have been very well received by our guests, and this new agreement speaks volumes about our confidence in growing this market.”
Mayor Alexander added, “This is an exciting announcement. Carnival Cruise Line ships have become a welcome addition to our skyline. This commitment strengthens that partnership and solidifies Norfolk’s position as a true Mid-Atlantic cruise port.”
Carnival Magi's 2021 schedule from Norfolk offers vacationers a variety of options, from short getaways to the Bahamas and Bermuda to longer-length voyages to the Caribbean.
The schedule includes:
- May 16 and June 5: six-day cruises to Freeport, Nassau and the private Bahamian island of Half Moon Cay
- May 22 and 31, June 11, and Oct. 4 and 30: five-day voyages featuring Freeport and Nassau
- May 27: four-day long weekend sailing to Bermuda returning on Memorial Day
- Sept. 29: five-day voyage to Bermuda
- Oct. 9: eight-day cruise to Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas
- Oct. 17: six-day voyage to Bermuda
- Oct. 23: seven-day sailing visiting Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.
Carnival Magic's 2021 cruises from Norfolk are currently open for reservations.
Click here for more information on the partnership.