As hand sanitizer is in high demand, due to the coronavirus pandemic, the FDA has warned consumers of nine possibly brands of toxic hand sanitizers.
The Food and Drug Administration says nine brands of hand sanitizers contain methanol or wood alcohol, which is potentially dangerous when absorbed through the skin or ingested.
FDA issued a warning on Friday, advising consumers not to use any hand sanitizer manufactured by Eskbiochem SA de CV in Mexico.
FDA tested samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ.
According to FDA, Lavar Gel contains 81 percent (v/v) methanol and no ethyl alcohol, and CleanCare No Germ contains 28 percent (v/v) methanol. Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects.
Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning.
Methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death, according to the FDA.
Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidentally ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning.
However to date, FDA is not aware of any reports of adverse events associated with these hand sanitizer products.
The FDA listed the following products in its warning:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)