The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) awarded four contracts to regional organizations to administer its new COVID-19 Support Services program.
The program will support those who are asked to isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19 and need assistance such as food, relief payments, or access to primary medical care.
“Treating any health matter, including COVID-19, is much more than arriving at a diagnosis. We have to treat the whole person and that includes making sure they have enough food to eat, have a safe place to isolate, and can meet basic living expenses while missing work,” said NCDHHS Secretary Mandy K. Cohen, M.D. “This is an investment in our community well-being and slowing the spread of this devastating virus.”
Anyone who tests positive for or has been exposed to COVID-19 needs to quarantine or isolate for as long as 14 days. The COVID-19 Support Services program is a new effort to provide support for those who need to isolate or quarantine.
In these 20 counties, people who need help will be connected to a Community Health Worker who will coordinate needed services, which may include:
- Nutrition assistance
- A one-time COVID-19 relief payment to assist the individual and his or her family in meeting basic living expenses
- Safe, private transportation to and from essential locations such as testing sites, non-congregate shelter and medical visits
- Access to primary medical care via telehealth
- Medication delivery; and/or
- COVID-related over-the-counter supplies, such as a face mask, hand sanitizer, thermometer or cleaning supplies
The organizations awarded contracts for the Support Services program are:
- Region 1: Quality Home Care Services doing business as Quality Comprehensive Health Center (Mecklenburg, Gaston)
- Region 2: Piedmont Health Services and Sickle Cell Agency (Chatham, Lee, Montgomery, Stanly, Randolph, Rowan)
- Region 3: Duke University Health System (Durham, Granville, Vance)
- Region 4: ADLA, Inc. (Duplin, Bladen, Columbus, Greene, Johnston, Robeson, Sampson, Wayne, Wilson)