CHESAPEAKE, Va. - A firefighter with the Chesapeake Fire Department was hurt while responding to a fire at a home in the 1200 block of Priscilla Lane Tuesday evening.
The call came in just before 6 p.m. News 3 sent a photographer to the scene.
According to fire officials, the first units arrived on scene to find light smoke coming from the front entrance of the home and heavy smoke coming from the back. Firefighters had to force their way into the home through the back.
As they made their way inside the home, they weren't able to see the smoke back down to the floor. They continued to move forward, and the floor gave out under one of the firefighters. He fell through the subfloor and into the crawl space.
A mayday call was issued and was cleared in three minutes.
The firefighter who fell was able to get himself free with the help of other firefighters on scene. He sustained only minor injuries and returned to duty.
No one was at home at the time of the fire.
Authorities say crews responded to the same home Monday. The homeowners had come home and called 911 after discovering a light haze of smoke due to a dishwasher overheating.
It is unknown if that incident is connected with Tuesday night's fire, which is still under investigation.
Two adults who live in the home will be displaced.
Officials say firefighters were given water and wet towels and were rotated to keep everyone safe during the heat and humidity. The Rehab unit was requested to respond to the scene.