VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – You can help to provide meals and healthy snacks to disadvantaged students who may not have enough to eat over weekends and school vacations.
The Beach Bags food drive provides meals to these children and will be held Thursday, October 28 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The Beach Bags program provides shelf-stable meals and healthy snacks to Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) students who might otherwise go hungry.
You are needed because the community support program is kept up entirely by donations from area businesses, school organizations and community members and it has been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Monetary and food donations will be accepted for the Beach Bags program at Pembroke Mall (Kohl’s parking lot behind Walgreens), 4554 Virginia Beach Boulevard. We are also asking for school supplies including headphones/earbuds with microphones, pencils, erasers, loose leaf paper, notebooks, colored pencils, drawing pencils and dry erase boards and markers.
Tax-deductible contributions can be made through the Virginia Beach Education Foundation by clicking here.
Any of the following food items will also be accepted on October 28:
- Individual-sized cereal boxes or oatmeal packets
- 8-ounce servings of shelf-stable milk
- Individual-sized shelf-stable meals (ravioli, spaghetti and meatballs, macaroni and cheese, chunky soups, etc.)
- 4-ounce or larger fruit cups and/or 100% juice boxes
- Individually wrapped snack items (granola bars, pudding cups, pretzels, trail mix, snack crackers, etc.)
News 3 is partnering with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS), the Virginia Beach Education Foundation (VBEF), Southern Bank and Pembroke Mall to host the Beach Bags food drive.
For more information call the Virginia Beach Education Foundation at 757-263-1949.