Granby High student charged after school placed on lockdown

Granby High
thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg
arrest photo.jpg
Granby lock down.PNG
Posted at 10:56 AM, Mar 15, 2022
and last updated 2022-03-16 17:25:39-04

NORFOLK, Va. - Police officers responded to a report of a person with a weapon at a school Tuesday morning.

The weapon was reported at Granby High School and caused the school to be placed on a lockdown.

Police asked the public to avoid the area as they investigate.

News 3 was at the scene and saw many parents outside the building who were nervous and waiting to hear more about what was happening.

Around 1:30 p.m., they were lined up to get their kids and ID tables were set up outside to check their identification, as seen below. Parents have to show their ID then the child will be escorted to tennis courts, where they can pick them up.

Parents lined up to get kids
ID tables

Parents said earlier Tuesday morning that they heard students were running down halls and that the suspect waved a gun.

Police said "several" students have been detained and no injuries have been reported.

As of 3:45 p.m., Granby High is no longer on lockdown, and all students have been dismissed. Police said one juvenile has been taken into custody after an investigation. On Wednesday,
police say a 15-year-old student was charged with brandishing a firearm. The teenager is currently being held in the Norfolk Detention Center.

According to a witness inside, the lockdown had become very intense as students waited to be released.

“Students have to go to the bathroom are being denied even though we’ve received emails that the threat has been dealt with. Some students are being arrested for forcing past their teachers to leave, which is delaying the dismissal process," the witness tells News 3.

Norfolk Public Schools released the following statement:

"Granby High School went into lockdown this morning under the advisement of the Norfolk Police Department, who had been called to investigate an incident involving a possible weapon that was allegedly observed in a nearby apartment complex. School administration immediately enacted safety and security protocols. All within Granby High School remained in lockdown as police conducted their investigation. No weapon was found in the school, and no one was hurt. We are grateful to our staff and students for their quick actions, and to our partners with the Norfolk Police Department for their quick response. Crisis counselors and additional staff will be on duty at Granby High School on Wednesday. We thank our entire school community for their caring and concern."
Norfolk Public Schools

News 3 reached out to NPS regarding the weapon charge after they reported that no weapon was found on school grounds. At this time, NPS does not have a comment regarding this.

Granby High
Photo taken inside building