HAMPTON, Va. - Starting in July, Hampton residents will not be allowed to park their vehicles on lawns, leaving many residents in need of a driveway.
Starting on July 1, Hampton residents will not be allowed to leave vehicles on their front lawns if street parking is permitted. Last year, council members voted 4-3 to adopt the ordinance banning people from doing so.
Those affected by the new ordinance can apply for financial assistance from the city to install a driveway.
The new rule is one of several measures going into effect on July 1. This is in response to residents' and neighborhood associations' concerns.
- Loading and unloading (up to 24 hours)
- When either side of the adjacent street is labeled as "no parking permitted"
- Reasonable accommodation
- City-approved special permit
- Street closures
- Street sweeping/maintenance
- Flooding or severe weather events
- When washing the car