Mom warns parents after LED lights fill son's room with smoke

Posted at 2:22 PM, Feb 23, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-23 14:22:56-05

YORKTOWN, Va. -- A Virginia mom has a warning for other parents who order LED lights to decorate their child's room.

"Be aware!" Lauren Blanchard said after a rolled-up strand of LED lights filled her son's room with smoke.

Light fire 01.jpg

Blanchard said she ordered the lights off Amazon for one of her children.

When two strands of rolled-up lights arrived in the package, one son - unbeknownst to her - shared the extra roll with his brother, she said.

The second son plugged in the lights without unrolling them first, she said.

The family's smoke alarm sounded at 4 a.m.

"My husband ran upstairs," she said. "The entire room full of smoke."

The hot lights smoldered, singeing the bedding.

Light fire 02.jpg

Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

Blanchard said after the incident, she re-read the products Amazon reviews and found others experienced similar issues with the lights.

"Be certain they are properly installed and you do your research," she advised other parents."Don't have them round up!"

She also wanted to make sure parents shared that important safety lesson with their children.

EAT IT, VIRGINIA serves restaurant news and interviews.